Sunday, January 3, 2010

Made it.

My adventure began the moment I stepped into the airport and told me that my 5 lb overweight bag would cost me $150. Highway robbery, I decided. The next adventure was telling everyone that I love hasta luego untill April.

The flight itself was bumpy and largo... long. The worst turbalance was over Cuba. The worst turbulance also occured as I was attempting to use the restroom. It is hard enough to use the extremely small, cubical bathroom, let alone use it while thinking that you are going to fall out into the aisle with your pants at your knees.

When I arrived in Buenos Aires at 7:15 a.m., 4:15 a.m. eastern time, it took an hour to get through customs. But luckily, I did learn on the plane that Buenos Aires has two airports: one for international flights and the other for domestic flights. So-- 115 pesos (40 bucks USD) and 30 minutes later, I arrived at the aeroparque for my other two hour flight.

I slept most of the way. and by time I landed, after 22 hours of traveling, I felt engulfed with nausea and tiredness. Though Bariloche from the air eased some of my pain. We turned and rounded the mountains and I saw Bariloche. THE mountains. Oh my goodness the mountains with the snow capped tips. Unlike anything I had ever seen. Also, the lago (lake) that the whole town sits on was more beautiful that I could have possibely imagined. The town itself is my adventure for tomorrow when I start school.

My family is very nice and my "mom" tiene suerte bien con plantos (has a green thumb). The gardens around the house are giant. She told me today that she always uses the water that she boils vegetables in to water some of her plants because of the vitamins. I told her "tengo mala suerte con plantos" (black thumb!) and that I never would have thought about that.

At first, I was extremely overwhelmed. Tired, hungry and blah. I wasn't even speaking in English, let alone speaking in Spanish. I took my first siesta and I am now ready to explore.

I can already tell that things are different. Also, I could have left more stuff home, even though I thought 55lbs for three months was pretty good. Life is simple here. Quite. I will walk everywhere and the outdoors are already calling me. I am ready for whatever tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment