Thursday, December 17, 2009

the setup

One of my favorite movies is The Sting. Robert Redford and Paul Newman will always be the most sultry, man-duo of all time. What they have to do with Argentina? Not much. But the plot of the Sting reminds me of my upcoming travels (minus the whole conning millions of dollars out of people). :)

A "sting" is simply a setup. A moment in time that is predetermined, mapped out, formulated... a simple second schemed out ahead of time where the loser loses millions... a sting. BUT! the most important thing about a sting: the choices the person being setup makes.

My trip to Argentina is a "sting" (yet again, minus the being conned out of lots of money).

The Setup: Bariloche, Rio Negro, Argentina. Jan.2, 2010-April 4, 2010. I will be attending school four hours a day, five days a week at a language learning institute STRICTLY for Spanish. I am living with a family. One cat. One dog. My "mom" is a doctor and she has a son. They live in a quite neighborhood 30 minutes away from escuela.

The setup is made. BUT the most important part: what I choose to do with my time in Bariloche.

Have you ever googled Bariloche? Do it. NOW. I fell in love with Bariloche through the images I googled. The picture perfect green mountains and crystal clear lakes sang to me. The town reminds me of everything that I love about where I grew up, but then again, it truly resembles a magical forest utopia that I had only dreamed about-- let alone a place that I would ever get to travel and explore.

I have fallen in love with a place that I have never set foot in. But I am confident this excitement will allow me to fully enjoy my setup. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment